Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Week 7 Storytelling: Fortune and Ill Luck

Happy couple by freestocks

ONCE upon a time, there was a woman who suffered a lifetime of unfortunate events. She was known to be clumsy and disorganized, but as she was growing up she noticed that she wasn’t just a klutz. She was an unlucky person in general.

Somehow she grew up with a completely opposite friend; he seemed to radiate of luck wherever he goes. She was at least lucky enough to have him in her life. The girl was raised in the bad part of the city, while the guy came from a moderately wealthy family. Somehow they attended the same middle and high schools, and that was how they became best friends. They balanced their misfortunes and fortunes out.

Later in life, they fell in love and got married. The only thing they had going for them was happiness and love. The groom’s side of the family greatly disapproved of the girl and threatened that if he were to marry her then he would be cut off from the family. So he left and they got eloped. He never thought to look back because he deeply believed this girl was worth the world.

The man had numerous friends with connections around the nation. One special person offered his vacation home for the couple to live, and this is how they started their new lives together. The unlucky women somehow lost all her belongings in the process of moving, but that did not discourage them.

The man wanted to prove that they can survive through his luck. A few days after they settled in, he decided to go to the closest grocery store and buy a lottery ticket.

Lottery ticket by jackmac34

Later that night, they tuned in to watch the announcement of the winning numbers. They couldn’t believe their eyes; the husband’s ticket matched 5 out of 6 numbers. Overall, he won about $100,000.

The next morning, he went to go claim his prize. On the way home, he stopped by the bank to deposit most of the winnings and kept a quarter of it in cash. Once the husband got back, he handed the wad of cash to his beautiful wife. She was baffled. In all her years of living, this was the most money she has ever had.

He told her to keep it safe and sound while he went to go job hunting for the afternoon. They decided that with the wife’s unfortunate luck, she should get more acquainted with the new home and area before attempting to work as well.

As she was outside watering the garden, the wife heard a commotion coming from inside. Someone had broken in. She hurriedly ran back to see what happened when a big man hit the back of her head with a stick. Instantaneously, she fell to the ground and was knocked unconscious. In the meantime, the robber found took all their valuables and money.

The husband came home two hours later with a bottle of wine to celebrate. Instead of a celebration, he found his wife on the stone cold ground. He carefully lifted her head up and noticed she wasn’t breathing. Sadly, the impact of fall gradually killed her.

Her lifetime of unfortunate events has come to an end.


Author’s Note: I decided to play with the lucky and unlucky aspect of the story. One big thing that changed was the fact that the husband was wealthy instead of the wife. Ultimately the original story had different scenes and locations, but the ending still ended with death of the wife.

Bibliography: The Chinese Fairy Book by r. Wilhelm

9 comments:

  1. I was definitely not expecting that ending; I thought she was just going to lose the money somehow.

    I do like how they balanced each other out! It was interesting and I was hoping they would have a happy ending. I also like how you described how they met as well as how their relationship affected his ties to his family.

    While I understand that she died in the original story, I feel like it was really sudden in this story. Also, I think in the last sentence, "has" should be "had" since you have been writing in past tense.

    Thanks for the read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story! Not the original, because I've never read it, but yours. You do a great job communicating how and why the husband and wife got together, and how much he loves her. So much so that the ending hurts my heart--he just wanted to provide for her, but inadvertently it led to her death.

    Supposedly, lottery winners are a lot more prone to death, injury, suicide, and poverty. Statistically, it's better not to win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your story! I like that the couple decides to test their luck despite the odds...ha ha! I really do like the love and devotion the two have for each other. I was really sad when I read the part about the wife dying. I think the husband should have known better than to try and change her luck, but it was a good story overall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading this! I loved how he left everything for his wife and was willing to start a completely new life with her. You did a great job describing how much they cared for each other and it seemed like he would give all his luck to her if he could. I was expecting a happy ending, so I was surprised and saddened when she died! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your story! I liked how there was room for a second chance in this story! I think that you did a great job allowing us to understand how much they truly cared for each other. I agree with Savannah. I was expecting a happy ending as well and the sad ending was a surprise for sure. Great job with the story however!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you killed a character and stuck with it! That is something I noticed most people in this class avoid doing. I wonder if it might be a new writer thing. Anyways, you wrote a very tragic story, but I had so much respect for the man who stuck by her side until the end. Overall, great job. It was concise and clear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sheena, I think you did a really great job on your story here! It was very tragic and I really haven't read many stories like that so it really stuck out to me! I think that you did a really good job of portraying the emotions and feelings of the characters and it was evidently clear how they felt about each other. I was definitely not expecting the ending to be like that, but I think that made it all the better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I wasn't expecting that ending at all! It was tragic, but it was great because it maintained consistent characterization. She was an unlucky woman until the day she died. I appreciated the love story aspect you included in your story. It was great that the lucky man stayed with his love, regardless of what his family thought or her misfortunes. Great job on this story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read another story that was similar yours. I think you both did a great job at playing with someone's fortune. In both stories, the unlucky person was the woman/wife. I wonder how the story would have gone differently if the man/husband was the unlucky one. It was sad that the wife died, but I excepted something like to happen. You said they balanced their fortunes and misfortunes. Winning the lottery would be considered a life-changing event, but so would death. Great way to end your story.

    ReplyDelete