Monday, February 27, 2017

Reading Notes: Chinese Fairy Tales, Part A

Panther by fotshot

I enjoy the beginning of the story because I am unlucky as well. I also like the twist in the beginning. The princess left to go live with the lucky beggar. He left for eighteen years to find fortune? She was faithful throughout the time he was gone. He came back wealthy, they celebrated, and of course she falls ill and dies because she is unlucky.

All the stories start off “ONCE ___” or “THE”, all caps first words. The story took a wild turn when the father wanted to leave his children in the mountains to be eaten by wolves. This is a family of selfishness and survival.

The panther was deceiving. This reminds me of another story, but I can’t quite put my finger on what it is. Is this story usually told with a wolf? Like the big bad wolf!

Son went to fetch water for his mom, but she passed away and withered in the process of him being gone. I was confused the rest of the story.

The girl with the horse’s head or the silkworm goddess… what an interesting title.

Prince Guan, King Guan, Helper of the Heavens, God of War. Numerous names and many spiritual descriptions.

I love when stories start out homely/humbly. Pear farmer was tricked. The story ending with the ants gave me the chills because I can just imagine it.


Bibliography: Chinese Fairy Book by Wilhelm

No comments:

Post a Comment