Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Week 6 Storytelling: The Princess and Turtle

Island by Mwanner

There was once a beautiful princess who lived alone on an island. She was the only human there and made friends with all the native animals. Her best friend was a turtle. He didn’t say much, but she knew he could understand her words.

Far into the distance the princess could see thousands of people having fun along the shore. She had special senses that tingle when certain people entered the water. She thought it was the world’s way of telling her it was true love.

A few sailors have sailed by her island, and a few have even rested there. They never stay though. Not long enough anyways.

You see, the princess had another special power; she never aged. She could also give others that opportunity as well. Often the guests take up the offer, but eventually they miss home and would try to go back. The princess has learned that nothing good lasts forever.

One morning, her turtle friend ended up far away from home. He was caught in a nets that were thrown into a boat. A fisherman was utterly surprised to see such a creature in those nets because this has never happened before. The turtle was terrified for his life. He trembled and begged as the fisherman picked him up. The fisherman simply released all the netting and gently put him down in the sand. Graciously, he gave the turtle a nudge to set him free into the water, and off the turtle went.

The turtle arrived back home and told the princess all about his encounter. Immediately, the princess was infatuated. She was desperate for the attention of any man, for it had been decades since anyone had stopped by her island. She needed to devise a plan to meet this kind fisherman. She needed to find herself a keeper.

She observed from afar all the days he set ashore to go fishing. There is this feeling that won’t go away. He was the one.

It was a stormy night out and this was the perfect opportunity to reel the fisherman in. His boat coincidentally hit a rock and broke right beneath him. When out of nowhere the turtle came towards him to save his life. “I am the turtle whose life you once saved. I will now pay my debt and show my gratitude.”

With that, the fisherman latched onto the turtle, and they headed back to the princess’ island.

Here the princess tended to the wounds he received during the storm and took care of him as he passed out. The next morning the young fisherman was surprised to see how much better he felt. He looked up and was captured by the beauty the princess possessed.

She noticed he was awake and swiftly walked back to him. They chatted for a few hours… which turned into a few days. When finally the princess gave him the proposition of staying young forever. The idea sounded too good to be true, but he accepted her invitation.

It’s amazing how time flies on an island isolated with just two people living there. Years passed and the fisherman never even noticed.

But.

One day, the fisherman told the princess he missed home and wanted to go back. Like the rest of the men that end up on this island, they never last.

She let him go back to a place he calls home, but really it is no longer his home. He doesn't realize that it’s been hundreds of years stuck on that island with her.

--

Author’s Note: I wanted to do it from the princess’ point of view instead of the fisherman’s. To tie in the original version and mine a little bit more, I incorporated a quote from the turtle.

Bibliography:
Japanese Fairy Tales by Andrew Lang

8 comments:

  1. You know, when I first started reading your story I thought it was going to be a cliche. As I continued to read, my mind stayed on that track- woman wants man, finds him, man falls in love instantly. Then you hit me with that ending. For one, it took me off guard, one-hundred years, really, was he that oblivious? But, jeez, that is so depressing! You did a wonderful job. Looking back on your story, the only thing I did not like was how "desperate" princess was for a man. Also, can can the princess not leave the island, and if not, why is she trapped there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I read the same thing this week and didn't even recognize which story you had picked to retell! I thought this was a very interesting spin. I was really sad there wasn't a happy ending though. I missed that in the original version too. In your telling, I longed for her to be stronger on her own, go with him, or go out to find her own destiny rather than sit on the island alone. I really liked her turtle friend though, and for a minute, I thought he was going to become a human and be her match instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOSH PLOT TWIST! I was so happy that she had found someone to be with her and was upset when he left, but to find out he had spent hundreds of years really blew my mind! I was initially in love with her best friend turtle, I just pictured him as like Pascal in Tangled! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I read this story too! It's one of my favorite fairy tales. I love what you did with the point of view. It felt almost Disney-like, with a magic princess and her animal companion. I don't mean it felt trite or predictable--just added a familiar element.

    Great job! If you were going to go back and edit the story at all, you could add more to the ending--you could put your own twist on it, if you don't think the original is fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this story! This was a really unique story and I liked that it was coming from the princess's perspective so we could really empathize with her loneliness. I was happy when I thought she had finally found the one she could love forever, but I liked your bittersweet ending of him returning to his home. So does he start to age again when he lets him go back to his home? Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow! I wasn't expecting the ending. I figured she'd finally have her happy ever after, but like you said, all good things come to an end. I liked how the story was set up! It transitioned well and I didn't feel like it was very rushed, though I feel like the ending was a bit abrupt, but it was also kind of a slap in the face-- very sudden and just bam, there it is.

    Also, the last sentence should be in past tense like the rest of the story. I think it would be nice to give a very brief summary of the original story in the author's note, too.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really liked this story. The ending was a bit poignant but it kind of feels like he'll go back to the island and start calling it home from now on. The one part that surprised me was the turtle helping the fisherman get to the island. I thought the turtle was a small one before that so the mental image made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ready another similar story to yours, how funny this happened twice. In a way, I think its cruel to persuade a man to stay on the island as decades passed them. I think they princess assumed that he knew time was flying by, but I think she should have told him how long it had been since he washed up on her island.

    ReplyDelete