Monday, April 10, 2017

Reading Notes: Nursery Rhymes, Part A

I LOVE rhymes. Being an ad student I love play on words, alliteration, and rhyming. I know quite a few nursery rhymes already, but I enjoy reading more.

Tales: there are many that follow the AA - BB - CC pattern. Element of nature and outdoors. The crooked man is fun to read. The fat man of Bombay is very imaginable. I can put some sort of a spin on the three men of Gotham. Writings that include the sea always intrigue me. The events on certain days of the week in Solomon Grundy would be a great starting ground for a story as well.

Proverbs: There is a redundancy in actions. The sneezing proverb could also be used for a story since in incorporates action on certain days too.

Songs: I looked up the beat to some of these songs because I wanted to sing it (Little Bo Peep in particular). Songs are always fun, they’re easier to remember because there is a beat to it. I sang Sing a Song of Sixpence for middle school choir! I remember most of it instantaneously! Four and twenty blackbirds~ Baked in a pieeee~

File:Blueberry pie crust detail with vents, August 2009.jpg
Pie by Jessica Spengler
Riddles: Long legs, crooked thighs, little head, and no eyes. Haha, I had no idea that was a pair of tongs. These are very clever. I do not possess the cleverness for this. It’s mindboggling at the same time.

Paradoxes: All these nursery rhymes are very long to get through. Since it’s not in a story element, you have to really think it through as you are reading.

Charms and Lullabies: Oh, Peter Piper. The butter one does not make sense to me. The swimming rhyme messed with my head so much.

Games: The Jack be nimble rhyme reminds me of the Geico commercial! That was an intelligent twist to the original version! They added an extended version of what happened to Jack. Some of these include noises instead of words.


Bibliography: Nursery Rhymes by Andrew Lang

No comments:

Post a Comment