Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Reading Notes: Nursery Rhymes, Part B

Jack and Jill by Dorothy M. Wheeler
Jingles: Deedle is very cute. It’s simple and easy to understand. Other stories are quite a tongue twister and plays with your thoughts. Oh, I know Hey Diddle Diddle! There are a lot of unique words being used such as deedle, jiggety, and tweedle.

Love and Matrimony: Ah, I like how the first one is the infamous Jack and Jill. There are a repeat in actions, possibly to put emphasis on it. What is a minikin pin? The rhyme about Jack Sprat made me giggle. They even each other out in their flaws and preferences haha.

Natural History: The first illustration is adorable. Good use of a dog as the spotlight of the rhyme. Every rhyme so far has a great flow. Not too long of a sentence. Good length of a verse. More dialogues in these kinds of rhymes. Oh my gosh, the next page starts with a dog as well. I love animals in case you can’t tell. I think I knew Baa, Baa, Black Sheep as a hand game/dance.

Accumulative Stories: I like how each part builds onto the next. It’s a good way to make it cohesive and not all over the place.

Relics: I read most of these with a tune in my head. Overall, many of these have a certain flow to them that make it easy to hum to.


Bibliography: Nursery Rhymes by Andrew Lang

No comments:

Post a Comment