Sunday, January 29, 2017

Feedback Thoughts

Keep Calm and Carry On by Karen Arnold

Getting feedback:
Why Rejection Hurts and What to Do About It

Immediately these articles spoke out to me because they relate to situations I deal with now and will deal with in the future for my Advertising career. There are times when I will get brutal feedback and even get rejected for my ideas and of course it hurts, but there are ways of going about handling these situations.

Getting harsh feedback and even getting rejected can fuel a motivation you never knew you had within. “We overcome a hurdle and grow stronger and more confident as a result,” said William Treseder. The tips mentioned, such as do not demonalize and embracing emotions, are things I think about but never really follow through with. Though rejection may hurt, knowing how to limit your feelings will help stabilize a quicker recovery. It’s a new year, so a fresh mindset couldn’t hurt.


Giving feedback:
The Difference between Praise That Promotes Narcissism vs. Healthy Self-Esteem
Key Characteristics of Better Learning Feedback

A characteristic that caught my eye the most is to be transparent and tangible; tangible being the key word here. I cannot even count the numerous times I have received feedback on things I frankly can’t do anything about. Being tangible is so vital when critiquing. It has to be approachable and make sense.

Not only does tangibility factor into a feedback, but narcissism is also an issue. There’s a tendency to get aggressive and violent, and no one should grow up bottling those emotions. Like the article states, narcissism can lead to failure. Being cautious of how you word things can make a world of difference. It's okay to criticize, but do it in a way that is helpful. Do not be a jerk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment