Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Week 1 Story: I Doubt My Fire is Out


I doubt, I doubt, my fire is out;
My little wife isn’t at home;
I’ll saddle my dog, and I’ll bridle my cat,
And I’ll go fetch my little wife home.

~ ~ ~

After years of endless fighting and bickering, I realized I could not live this way any longer. My husband will not listen to my words or even look me in my eyes, so I decided it was time to start a brand new chapter in my life. I packed my bags and left without a single word of goodbye.

We never got to travel or see the world like we planned. He was always tied down to his job. It was lonely coming home from work and no one being there to greet me for hours. My husband used to make empty promises saying we will someday be able to go here and there, but after so many years he stopped mentioning those hopes and dreams. They meant nothing to him anymore. The first of many signs our relationship was withering away.

It was time for my fresh start. It was always my dream to explore Europe. It was supposed to be our dream… but my husband probably does not mind I did not go with him. He barely came home to see me anyways, and the only time we saw each other we fought like no other. The smallest things will turn into a fight we never expected. How does that happen if you love someone? Shouldn’t we get along?

Two weeks passed and not a single phone call from my husband. I guess our fire really is out. No sparks are left to even fight for me to come back. Deep down I was hoping he would come after me.

The following week I started noticing small gifts and trinkets next to me when I woke up. There were no notes or signs of anyone that left those for me, but I kept every single item.

One night, I was roaming the streets of Venice, and I felt as though someone was following me. I turned back, and much to my surprise it was my husband. I doubt, I doubt, our fire is out.


Author’s Note: This story is based on the nursery rhyme “I Doubt, I Doubt, My Fire is Out” quoted above. I added my own twist on the story by expanding it into the woman’s point of view instead of the original husband’s. It shows a different perspective. I enjoy watching romance movies, and those typically include a struggling scene that ends with a happy ending.

Bibliography: The Nursery Rhyme Book, edited by Andrew Lang.

3 comments:

  1. I like that you chose to rewrite a nursery rhyme. Personally, I had nixed the idea because the nursery rhymes were mostly so short. But you ran with it and wove a story. I think the best part was at the end, where you revisited the fire and gave it more meaning—the fire/warmth of their love—when in the original it’s vague. It sounds like it could be expanded into a larger story, but stands on its own. Great decision to write it from the woman’s point of view, which really fleshes out the bigger story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could see this as romantic movie. The way you put it from a personal and also a woman’s perspective was an excellent choice. The original nursery rhyme is not as good as this short story in my opinion and you gave this a feeling anyone should be able to feel if they have ever had similar experiences in their life. Great job on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you ended your story with a paraphrased line from the poem. It left an emphatic feeling of triumph for the couple, which I was happy about. I was really expecting her to find someone else, so I loved the twist of her husband actually coming after her to fight for her. This seems like it would be a good romance novel or movie because it is more realistic than fairy tale love. Good, concise writing!

    ReplyDelete